Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Pastor's Breakfast with Mike Huckabee

On Saturday, Jan. 12th, Gov. Mike Huckabee was in Grand Rapids, MI for a campaign stop. Prior to the public rally, he hosted a breakfast for pastors (about 150 were in attendance, they had to open up a divider for a second room because there were more than anticipated). I had the opportunity to shake his hand, and tell him that I appreciated his stand on the issues and that I have been praying for him. He genuinely thanked me for my support. He gave an outstanding speech about conservative values, focusing especially on valuing life. I've read a couple news reports implying a sinister motive that Huckabee was urging pastors to use their pulpits to get their flocks out to vote for him. That is so far from the truth it is laughable. In fact he specifically said not to endorse him from the pulpit, saying, "the only one you should endorse from your pulpit is Jesus Christ." He did ask us to use our contact lists on our free time to tell others how we felt about the election. He joked, "If the person you talk to is planning to vote for me, urge them to go vote, otherwise, encourage them to stay home and pray for the election."

A picture of Gov. Huckabee as I was waiting in line to shake his hand.

A portion of the large crowd who gathered to hear Gov. Huckabee speak at the Amway Grand Hotel in Grand Rapids, MI.

UPDATE: I found a short snippet of Huckabee speaking to the pastors at http://www.townhall.com/video/FoxLocal/2083_Huckabee1.

2 comments:

Winghunter said...

What do you think about this Chris;

Huckabee: Amend Constitution to be in 'God's standards'
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Huckabee_Amend_Constitution_to_meet_Gods_0115.html

Esther Hilling said...

I think he's right on. Part of the Republican platform includes a Federal Life Amendment, which Thompson opposes. I would love to see the Life Amendment as well as a marriage amendment added to the Constitution. Yet another reason to like Mike!